How to Play Poker Online
Do you want to know how to play poker online? You can learn poker online with the easy tutorial we have lined up. In fact, the same rules apply in poker online as at the casino. To really understand how this casino card game works you need to know the poker basics like list the hands, rules and strategies.
In learning how poker works, it is important to be familiar with the different variations. Texas Holdem is the standard and most popular game. In fact once you understand how to play that version you are well on your way to playing 3 card, Caribbean stud, Omaha and many other poker games.
In this how to poker guide we will include all the basics, tips, strategies plus a step by step tutorial. You will also find a quick Texas holdem guide, 7 card stud and 3 card draw poker guide. Basic rules on how to bet, when to call or raise are included.
Moreover we have this list of the best online poker sites that we have reviewed curated just for you:
Play Online Poker Real Money
How Does Poker Work?
Many think the object of poker is to have the best hand of cards. Theoretically that is true but poker is a game of bluffing and making it look believable hence the term “poker face”. Even when you do not have the best hand you could play in such a way that makes the other players think their hands are weaker than yours and fold. If all players fold the last player standing wins the pot.
- Each player is dealt two-hole cards and there are three community cards which players can combine with their own to make the best hand.
- The community cards are known as the flop or board.
- The community cards are exposed for everyone to see and are dealt out in three stages.
- The first three community cards are called the flop.
- The fourth community card is called the turn and the fifth and final community card is called the river.
With that you can get on to the business of playing the game. If you want to know how to play poker then follow the easy step by step guide below.
Poker Tutorial – Step by Step Poker Instructions
- The hole cards are dealt
- The first round of betting begins, each player puts in their “ante”
- The flop, that is, the first three community cards are then dealt
- Another betting round follows
- The next community card is dealt known as the turn
- Another betting round follows, some players may “check” or “fold” (see poker terms)
- If there are still players the next round of betting begins which is called the river
- Players who have not folded must now reveal their hands, this called the showdown
- The player with the best hand wins the pot.
- Where two players have identical or similar pairs hands the pot is either split equally or given to the player with higher ranking cards
Learn Poker Online
In order to successfully master online poker, you need to understand the basic poker game rules as well basic poker terms. There are many variations of poker, with Texas holder being the most popular. Other common poker games are Omaha, poker, 3-card poker and 5 card poker amongst others.
Try out the different online poker variants until you find the one you are most comfortable with. Once you have found your perfect poker game, you can then learn all the nuances of the different variants.
How to Play Texas Holdem Poker
Texas holdem follows the standard step by step game play of poker. Each player gets two-hole cards followed by a round of betting. Then followed by 3 shared community cards known as the flop. There are two additional community cards that come after the flop.
7 Card Stud Poker Instructions
Seven card studs used to be the main poker staple before Texas Holdem took over in popularity. The main difference between 7 card poker and the main Texas variation, is that there is no small blind but a bring in. The bring in is the compulsory bet that the player with the lowest ranking face up card is obligated to make. The initial cards each player gets is a total of three instead of the usual two.
How to Play 3 Card Poker
With this version, it’s not so much about how you make the best hand. Each player gets three cards and that is it. There are no community cards. There are no small or big blinds either. Bets are made before the game commences.
Poker Basics for Beginners
- Ante – the minimum bet required from all players before a hand is dealt. This is required to contribute to the prize pool which is known as the pot
- Buy-In – The amount needed to play at a specific poker game.
- Community Cards – are cards dealt face up seen by all players to use in making a hand.
- Flop – this refers to the first three community cards dealt out after the first round of bets
- Fold – this is ending your game when you feel your hand is too weak to hold against what you think everyone else has. You place your cards face down and thereby lose anything you have bet so far.
How to Play Poker FAQs
How do you play poker for beginners?
Poker starts with initial buying bets to build up the pot. These initial bets are known as the antes. All players have to pay them to participate in the game. After that, cards are handed out. Each player gets two cards face down. Three community cards known as the flop are set in the centre of the table face up. Thereafter the two players left of the dealer make the first two compulsory bets known as the small and the big blind. The game continues from there with players making plays like checking, call, raising or even folding.
How do you play poker online with friends?
You play poker online with friends through the best online poker sites that offer multiplayer virtual poker tables. You can also play online poker with your friends through various online poker tournaments.
How do you play poker online for real money?
Sign up to the best online poker sites which are legally registered and audited for fairness. That way you are guaranteed of getting your real money payout.
What is the best poker site for real money?
Best online poker sites for real money offer players a wide range of poker games, not just Texas holdem. Top poker sites also have mobile gaming which functions on both Android and iOS. You should also be able to get bonuses to use on a variety of poker games and win real money.
Can you play online poker for money in the US?
Yes, you can play online poker for real money in the US as long as you do so at a legit online casino.
Can I play poker on my phone for real money?
You may play poker on your phone for real money through top online casinos. All the best online poker sites for mobile gaming whether you’re using Android iOS or a different operating system.
Is online poker legit?
There are thousands of online poker sites on the internet so it may be difficult to find which casinos are legit and which aren’t. However, that is not to say there are no legit poker sites online. In fact, we have reviewed hundreds of poker casinos and found over 50 which offer legit real money poker games.